As agriculture is fundamentally changing due to shifting consumer demands, climate change, and market
forces, there’s an exciting opportunity to address these challenges through technology, diversity, and inclusion. AgLaunch is working directly with farmers, agtech startups, and entrepreneurs to address issues on farms. AgLaunch envisions a transformed regional agriculture and food economy centered around farmers, innovation, and prosperity.
Along with the AgLaunch digital and farm teams, the Soil and Ag Data Accountant will be working directly with farmers and partners to ensure they are prepared to participate in the changing digital farming landscape. This position reports directly to the Field Trial Manager and will work closely with the AgLaunch Farmer Network to collect, analyze, and track field- and farm-level data related to soil health, farm efficiencies, data from AgLaunch Portfolio Startups, and other sustainability measures.
What the Soil and Ag Data Accountant Will Do:
• Be responsible for collecting and integrating farm-level data year-round into AgLaunch’s digital platforms, most notably the Data Commons, and into startups, most notably Carbon Data Storage platforms like NORI.
• Develop a strong plan of tracking and implementing results so that the Farmer Network can successfully maneuver the Data Commons and obtain data
• Assist Field Trial Manager in communications with Farmer Network and the Ag-Tech Startups
• Assist Director of Innovation in onboarding Farmer Network members into the Data Commons, and in assisting those who are onboard with effectively using the system.
• Travel to farms and field days
• Engage product and development teams to review agronomic-science based systems for correct implementation of data models, units, and other agronomic-related factors critical to the success of those products that have reliance on your agronomic data science expertise
• Prepare detailed summaries and assets for leadership on agronomic data and analytics systems including KPIs and analytics results reflecting on system progress and statuses
• Provide technical guidance and coaching to other computational scientists, product development personnel, designers, and software engineers
What the Soil and Ag Data Accountant Will Bring:
• Carry a positive and proficient attitude in communications and workplace with a “can do” approach
• Agronomic knowledge of plant and soil.
• Understand the way data generates value to various potential users and be ready to creatively work with the AgLaunch Data Commons team to navigate conflicts and protect the interests of AgLaunch farmers while enabling AgLaunch startups to scale.
• Bachelor’s degree in Agricultural Engineering, Agronomy, Physics, Computer Science, Mathematics or a related field, with work experience directly associated with agronomic digital systems data management
• Proven experience as a data manager designing, deploying, and maintaining SQL databases or data stores for agronomic systems
• Excellent knowledge of data systems for extensibility, portability, and scalability
• Ability to explain complex data and analytics in nontechnical terms
• First-hand working knowledge of farming operations large and/or small
• Experience in coordinating, demonstrating, and presenting to the ag community
• Able to work independently and as a team
• Ability to manage multiple deadlines and demands and exhibit prioritization abilities
• Please note that this is a field-based role that involves working independently and traveling to farms within the AgLaunch Farmer network and field days that may require prolonged standing and walking in fields
• A valid driver license is required.
• Remote, at-home work option with an AgLaunch and farm offices available for meetings and training
• May be required to occasionally lift up to 50 LBS.
• Position is based in Memphis, TN
Salary Range: $60,000-$75,000
• Competitive salary and benefits, including mental health support
• Flexible working hours
• Generous holiday and vacation leave
• Benefits, including health insurance, retirement contributions, and disability insurance
AgLaunch does not tolerate discrimination of any type and offers equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, natural origin, age, disability or medical condition, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, or any other considerations made unlawful by Federal, State, or local laws. We believe in providing eligible and qualified employees with opportunities to advance. AgLaunch is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Women and minorities, and persons with disabilities, are encouraged to apply.
Send cover letter, resume, and references to email@example.com with “Soil and Ag Data
Accountant” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
APPLICATIONS DEADLINE: Until filled.