As agriculture is fundamentally changing due to shifting consumer demands, climate change, and market forces, there’s an exciting opportunity to address these challenges through technology, diversity, and inclusion. AgLaunch Initiative (“AgLaunch”) is a 501c3 nonprofit organization that is working directly with farmers, entrepreneurs, and stakeholders to transform the food and agriculture system. AgLaunch also includes a wholly owned subsidiary – Tennessee Benefit Corp. – as a holding company for aligned for-profit activities. For more information: www.aglaunch.com
AgLaunch is looking for a nonprofit Vice President Operations (VP-OPS) to oversee key internal administrative and operational functions. The VP-OPS will free up the President to focus on external matters such as strategy, vision, fundraising, new projects, and partnerships, as well as assist the President in building an innovation and inclusive culture. The VP-OPS will support and complement the role of the President, so an aligned vision is critical. Excellent communication skills, initiative, collaborative leadership, and the ability to learn quickly and work independently are all important traits for this position. The ideal candidate will have experience operating a startup company or nonprofit and be both committed to the mission of AgLaunch and willing to learn about all aspects of AgLaunch’s work.
The main goal of the VP-OPS will be to implement, communicate and support the strategies created by the President and other senior executives. The VP-OPS’s focus will be on daily operations to allow the President and other senior executives to manage larger, overarching company strategy and the long-term challenges that might impact that vision.
Some responsibilities of the VP-OPS will include:
- Work collaboratively to develop and/or improve systems, processes, controls, and procedures that improve the overall efficiency of the nonprofit and ensure excellent
support for farmers, startups, stakeholders, and funding partners.
- Servant leadership with the ability to build and lead cohesive teams and willingness to pitch in when needed to ensure goals/deliverables are met.
- Provide timely, accurate, and complete reports on the operating condition of the company to the President, and intuitive ideas on making it better.
- Maintain and direct the daily operations of the business, including VP-OPS coordinating in the areas of human resources, legal, marketing, accounting, IT, etc.
- Support the President and senior executives in creating and maintaining a success-oriented, accountable environment, ensuring employees are able to grow to their full potential within an inclusive and creative culture.
- Working with President and senior executives, develop and implement policies for daily operations, and communicate these policy changes to supervisors and staff.
- Ensure alignment with current company policies and goals, and work with president to develop and implement new ideas.
- Develop with President and senior leadership and then lead the performance management process that measures and evaluates progress against goals for the organization.
- Work with accounting firm on systems that provide the organization with quick access to financial information and enable strategic budgeting.
- Demonstrated interest in the mission, vision, and values of AgLaunch.
As a prerequisite, the successful candidate must believe in the core values of AgLaunch and be driven by the mission. The candidate should demonstrate a passion for breaking new ground to lead social change. Beyond that, we are seeking a candidate that has proven experience in scaling a multi-site organization and a demonstrated ability to work with a driven, bright, diverse team.
- Understanding of, and commitment to, the role of supporting the President, demonstrating a united front, and commitment to intuitively scaling appropriate processes at the appropriate time, without the goal of organizational succession.
- Results-proven track record and evidence of the ability to consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; high level of business acumen including successful P&L management; the ability to balance the delivery of programs against the realities of a budget; and problem solving, project management, and creative resourcefulness.
- Capacity Building — ability to effectively build organization and staff capacity, developing a top-notch workforce and the processes that ensure the organization runs smoothly.
- Leadership and Organization — exceptional capacity for managing and leading people; an empathetic team builder who has experience in scaling up organizations; ability to connect staff both on an individual level and in large groups; capacity to enforce accountability, develop and empower top-notch leaders from the bottom up, lead from the top down, cultivate entrepreneurship, and learn the strengths and weaknesses of the team so as to put people in a position to succeed.
- Action Oriented — able to act and react as necessary, even if limited information is available; not afraid to take charge of a situation; can overcome resistance to leadership and take unpopular stands when necessary.
- General Management — broad experience with the full range of business functions and systems, including strategic development and planning, budgeting, business analysis, finance, information systems, human resources, and marketing.
- Solid educational background – undergraduate degree required; MBA or similar advanced degree highly desired.
- Valid driver license is required.
- May be required to occasionally lift up to 50 LBS.
- Position works from the office and is based in Memphis, Tennessee.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in the evolution of a fast-growing, highly respected organization. We are seeking an individual of outstanding quality with a respected track record. AgLaunch is prepared to offer a compensation package that includes a salary range of $105,000-125,000 based on experience, as well as health, vision, and dental insurance, 401k with employer match, EAP, employer paid individual life insurance, flexible work hours, and an unlimited paid-time off policy.
AgLaunch does not tolerate discrimination of any type and offers equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, natural origin, age, disability or medical condition, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, or any other considerations made unlawful by Federal, State, or local laws. We believe in providing eligible and qualified employees with opportunities to advance. AgLaunch is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org