We’re Hiring: Director of Farm Innovation
About The Organization
AgLaunch is a national platform of innovative farmers from diverse farming operations that crowdsource due diligence, share data, coordinate field trials, and provide investment capital to support agtech startup companies from idea- to-scale. AgLaunch’s platform bridges the gap from how we farm now to the way we will farm in the future. AgLaunch believes that the future of farming is nutrient dense crops, carbon negative farms, and more equitable ownership in the value-chain.
Learn more at: www.aglaunch.com.
Along with the AgLaunch digital and farm teams, the Director of Farm Innovation will work directly with farmers and entrepreneurs to ensure they are prepared to participate in the changing digital farming landscape. This position reports directly to the Vice President of Innovation and emphasizes the integration of agricultural knowledge and data management capabilities. The successful candidate will play a pivotal role in bridging the gap between traditional farming practices and modern data-driven solutions. If you are passionate about agriculture, possess a keen understanding of soil health and agronomics, have hands-on experience in livestock production, and can leverage data for innovation and business growth, we encourage you to apply. This role offers a unique opportunity to contribute to the intersection of agriculture and technology, shaping the future of sustainable and data-driven farming practices. The specific responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
AgLaunch Farmer Network Growth and Management
- Lead farm team in recruiting and onboarding farmers to the AgLaunch Farmer Network.
- Work with internal teams and Ag Ventures Alliance to transition farmers from the AgLaunch Farmer Network to ownership in AgLaunch Farmers, LLC.
- Lead farm team to ensure farmer satisfaction, farm trial execution, and start-up success.
- Lead the implementation of programs that support growth of the AgLaunch Farmers, LLC, including customer discovery and new group communication tools.
- Track owner participation in AgLaunch Farmers, LLC equity-earning activities and provide reports as requested.
Farm Trial Coordination and Management
- Grow the value of the AgLaunch Farmers, LLC portfolio.
- Lead the planning, implementation, and measurement of farm trials.
- Develop start-up Statements of Work (SOW) focused on providing the next milestone tied to investment and farmer feedback.
- Ensure successful farm trials by managing alignment on investment milestones.
- Manage farm trial budgets and support grant reporting.
- Provide leadership on testing methods, data collection, mid-trial adjustments, and data analysis.
- Expand small plot trials and help coordinate field days and showcase events to highlight start-up companies with maximum farmer and investor participation.
Leadership and Team Development
- Create short and long-term goals for the farm team to enhance the farm trial experience and expand the trial network.
- Provide regular feedback, coaching, and performance evaluations.
- Work with the entrepreneurship team to deliver programming and value to portfolio companies and other startups in the AgLaunch ecosystem.
- Use leadership principles to develop a high-performing team: Enable others to act by delegation and training, challenge processes appropriately, model positive employee behavior, and encourage team members to be their best through ongoing coaching.
- Communicate with leadership and stakeholders in a proactive and solutions-focused manner.
- Manage a team of creative, driven individuals and direct the development of skills through training and coaching.
- Support grant reporting by tracking activity in real time and providing qualitative input.
Data and Internal Innovation Integration
- Lead the integration of Data Commons, Open Market Consortium (OMC), and other internal innovations.
- Identify farmers to trial and collaborate on development.
- Create and implement processes to collect and integrate farm-level data year-round.
- Lead onboarding, training, and technical support for the farmer network.
- Creatively work with the AgLaunch start-up companies to provide valuable insights to investors and farmers.
- Understand and prioritize the value of data-driven outcomes.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree minimum.
- Valid driver’s license and current vehicle insurance.
- Production knowledge of soil health, agronomics, and livestock production with first-hand working knowledge of large and small farming operations.
- Excellent people skills with ability to collaborate and manage relationships with a wide stakeholder base.
- Positive attitude with excellent written and verbal communication skills for professional communication.
- Proven experience collecting and using data to support innovation and sales and marketing efforts.
- Operate effectively in a dynamic, fast-paced, virtual environment with little supervision.
- The position is based in the Memphis, TN area, and is a hybrid of virtual and in-person with frequent in-office meetings and training, as well as occasional field days and other regional in-person events required. While the position is 50-75% remote, candidates should live in the greater Memphis area to be available for regular in-office meetings, workdays, and special events.
- Flexibility is required for travel approximately 15-20 days per year, as well as occasional nights and weekends for special events and seminars.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a role in the evolution of a fast-growing, highly respected organization. AgLaunch is prepared to offer a compensation package that includes a starting salary of
$100,000 based on experience with health, vision, and dental insurance, 401k with employer match, EAP, employer paid life insurance, flexible work hours and schedule, and an unlimited paid-time off policy.
AgLaunch does not tolerate discrimination of any type and offers equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, natural origin, age, disability or medical condition, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, or any other considerations made unlawful by Federal, State, or local laws. We believe in providing eligible and qualified employees with opportunities to advance. AgLaunch is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should email cover letter and resume to Rajah Brown, Vice President of Operations, at: firstname.lastname@example.org
This position reports to: Vice President of Innovation